Learning material is one thing, but doing projects (which in the real world translates into a bunch of things -- covered in reports.) If you cannot develop the study habits to get the resources, do the research, organize the research, cite the research and write coherently, that is a problem. And for most kids who learn easily and quickly, the discipline to do good, quality research is a problem. I know. I had problems. And I had a job that required discipline and research. I had to explain my thinking in detail so others could understand my thinking. It was SO HARD. Hence I went from equity research to derivative trading wherre I explained nothing. But seriously. Getting it quickly, not required studying can be a real detriment. I am making my kid do detailed projects in history. A course this year that saw some slacking. I said you have to know how to do real research. The work. The detail. When you make quantum leaps, doing the detail research so that others can understand is an acquired skill. Hardest for HG kids in my opinion, who want to skip, hop and jump to conclusions they see more easily.