Originally Posted by tigerhog
I am still working on this one with my child. She *never* study for anything and the whole time I thought that's the way it supposed to be, in elementary and all. She just started middle school and I am hoping things will change but nope. Testing is her thing. Tests are always A+ but homeworks are a mess!

Then I realize that I have nothing to offer either, because I didn't study myself (did just ok in college). To me, "to study" is synonym of "to memorize", which is weird and not exactly what I would call learning.

Sorry nothing to add yet but I am totally watching this thread...

I think a lot of people conflate the common concept of "studying" (a weird procedure of reviewing/memorizing that I have never understood) with something else that gets called "study skills," which is more about time management and organization.

Anyone can benefit from the latter, but the former doesn't work for a lot of higher LOG people.

Personally, I'm the kind of higher LOG person that learns in "quantum leaps"/"zero to sixty," and always have been. It's not just a kid thing; I'm in my thirties. What has helped me gain more control over my learning process is not trying to shove myself in the "studying" box, but learning to recognize the patterns of when and how that largely subconscious process is likely to manifest, and learning to facilitate the conditions for it.

(I can talk more about this if people would like, but I'm not sure how generally applicable what I have to say is.)