I'm late to the party but wanted to chime in. My dd was very very good in writing when she was 4. She wrote a lot. I could see her pain with the school curriculum but felt helpless to do anything for her. She even wrote letter to her principal in 4th grade talking about how GT isn't language arts, it's other stuff, and she needs more advanced language arts. She needed help with character development in 2nd grade. The other kids were still working on writing sentences to express an idea. She begged for help.

She got advanced math, and by 5th grade, was advanced 4 years in math, but only one year in language arts. What finally helped-- though there were wasted years that I'm sure took their tool-- was signing her up for online literature courses where she was introduced to real literature and literary analysis. I wish I had found that avenue before. She did that after school through middle school, went to high school and sadly got totally turned off by a teacher who was very encouraging but then got post partum depression and suddenly hated dds work.

So, at that point, dd found her social needs better met in STEM and pursued that in college. She gave up on high school English meeting any needs at all. The thing is that English is a standard class that everyone needs for 4 years and our state sets the curriculum. There may be different versions, but it's all the same books. YAWN. Math has more options.