DD has had cycles. Beating her with a stick didn't work. OK, didn't really beat her but came close during some of those cycles. She would go from distracted with the social to acing the final math exam. Saying she didn't like chemistry and why she got the 2 on the test, to getting into it and acing the final last year. This year, she is in 10th grade and since she in private school, the guidance counsellor is working with her. She has to meet weekly, the GC talks to the teachers, it is like training her for the Olympics she is in a tight path to change habits and make them consistent. I tried for 3 years and couldn't figure it out. She had 5 days off this past weekend, due to the holiday and parent teacher interviews etc. She had 12 hours of Chinese tutoring, finished a history project, filmed a baking video she had to do for Spanish, plus study for bio and chem tests. And attended her technovation girls group. She had wanted to meet up with someone and go to the mall but she said she was really proud of herself getting so much done. She did take the dog on the beach everyday and go to the gym everyday. And spent the evenings binging on Next in Fashion. So she wasn't stuck in her room. But just focused on getting the work done at a level 5, instead of just doing it is hard to maintain. I am hoping the GC oversight, instead of me helps that.