I am, maybe, a bit more jaded than you all. My baseline for children is to not leave the school system damaged, in ways that will impact them into college and adulthood, and if they are actually happy, I am happy.

He WILL need those A grades in order to get into an appropriate university environment for him. You don’t want him to be constrained in his choices by a B average in his high school record. Nor do you want him to develop impostor syndrome, thinking “I can’t really be gifted, other kids get As all the time and I don’t”, disregarding the fact that his classmates may be 2 years older. Should kids have perfect As all the time? No, it’s not healthy, the occasional B and needing to work for that A is. But it’s hard to find that sweet spot!

The problem is that accelerated kids may have other struggles, socially, physically and functionally, and you don’t want to accelerate them beyond their ability to cope with those, even if intellectually, they’d still be fine.

Speaking as someone who has three kids at various levels of acceleration and “deceleration”, and for whom the choices had to be very individually determined, depending on both the kid and the environment, and who is currently watching accelerated classmates floundering and considering making a post about it.