Thank you @aeh and @pemberley for responding! I apologize for not responding sooner! We are new to Davidson and I don't really understand how the forum works - I thought I would get an email letting me know when I got a response. I didn't hear anything, forgot which forum I responded to (yikes!) and just assumed no one had any feedback.
@aeh: We are currently homeschooling and I think there are a lot of things about it that really suit my son. If we don't find a school we feel really confident about, we will continue homeschooling and I will look into the programs you mentioned. We've tried some schools that are afterschool classes (language arts once a week, math once a week) Because we only go once a week, the teacher needs to keep the kids focused for that 2 hours and so it's not particularly social or collaborative. Also, the teachers don't get to really know the kids that well and my son really needs someone who gets him. He is more of an absorb and learn type vs a lot of output and it comes across as disengaged. I think that's frustrating for him and his teachers. I love the idea of hybrid option. Thank you!!
@Pemberley, Thank you so much for sharing your daughters story! I just looked into Fusion - it looks incredible. We are in 2nd grade so we'll have to wait for something like that but it would really suit him. He does best one-on-one and having something consistent every day that is social would be ideal. It's really good to get feedback from a parent who has tried a specialized school because it helps us focus our questions more. We need to really understand exactly what they do to address his gifted side and his E side. We are going to the school this week to see what a day in the life looks like but will really get the most of our information when we meet with the head of school. Do you have any recommendations for what to ask? Thank you so much!