Originally Posted by madeinuk
This and too many similar articles conflate wealth with earned income.

Actual multi-generational wealth confers genuine advantages and privileges that folks who only have a high earned income can only dream of.

Personally, I have had it up to my back teeth with hearing the income==wealth fallacy.

Plus college costs and taxes ensure that the 'only high income' people (the middle class) stay in their place.

The gullibility of most, even on this board itself, not to see through this shell game actually astounds me.

Even if you're not conflating wealth with income, high income confers genuine advantages and privileges that people who only have a median income can only dream of.

If one can see the advantages presented by multi-generational wealth, one can equally see the advantages presented by high income.

Quality of education either in terms of private schools or in terms of more expensive homes in better school districts being a noted example that doesn't require generational wealth for advantage.

Scope and scale of extracurricular activities is another.

The advantages of income are just as prevalent and impactful as the advantages of generational wealth.