Originally Posted by aeh
If the school continues to claim that they are "working on it", it would be helpful to have them clarify the strategies and interventions they currently have in place, and how they are measuring progress (this is all relevant even for general ed supports), and also to specify if they are accommodating his writing mechanics in some way (which further supports the need for either formal accommodations going into middle school, such as one might find on a 504 plan, or skills remediation). E.g., perhaps they are not marking him down for spelling or other mechanics errors, because he is bright, cute and good.
Yes the gifted teacher alluded to this. Obviously, what they are doing for him in spelling (because they do acknowledge he is extremely poor in it, and have been acknowledging it for 4 years now) is not good enough. It is not helping. And that is why I started this in the first place because I realized that I need a way to get the school really focused on remediating this - if there is a measurable (G)IEP goal that they have to meet, they will take this issue of remediating this weakness more seriously. I do not need him to win a Spelling B, I just need him to be able to keep up in his advanced classes by being able decently spell and use capitalization and a period.