Originally Posted by aeh
It seems to me the most likely avenue that meets the statute would be to argue that his discrepant weaknesses in spelling and writing mechanics are limiting his access to appropriate programming and GIEP services for his identified above-grade level strengths in ELA (reading comprehension). That is, he demonstrates strength-based needs in ELA, based on his above-grade level reading, but placement into his strength-appropriate ELA settings is compromised by his discrepantly-low writing mechanics. Therefore, specially-designed instruction in writing mechanics is necessary in order to support his access to strength-appropriate ELA instruction.

Yes, thank you so much! I was actually just drafting this type of argument actually in reference to math and science. Basically, He is accelerated two years in math and with all of the "writing to explain" in math his writing mechanics do get in the way. With my older in honors middle school science (and this kiddo heading there himself next year). I am concerned about the same in science. My older one often gets work to be redone due to less than stellar writing mechanics. There is a lot of writing in science. This guy can "do" the work but he needs to be able to express himself in a decently written sentence! Your suggestions are great and I will incorporate those! Thank you.