I have just recently attended a lecture on ADHD which suggested that ratings scalesa re actually much more reliable in identifying ADHD than psychometric testing. So that does seem like useful path to go down with your dr, as recommended above.

The other point made in this lecture is that the person with ADHD will often not consider (some of) their impairments to be a problem, their only problem is that YOU think it's a problem... And I certainly see this with my child who has ADHD. She has researched ADHD herself and feels that the shoe fits (wholeheartedly). There are things that go wrong for her that DO bother her; However, there are many functional areas of impairment where she just DOES NOT CARE, and THAT is part of her impairment....

For example, she's not motivated to do a particular homework task, and she doesn't care if she fails it, because she thinks it's a stupid task anyway with no meaning or learning opportunity. She has no long term perspective on the impact failure to comply with stupid tasks will have on her school or life success. Her only problem with this situation is that I think it's a problem. Sometimes I might agree with her that the task is fairly pointless, but I don't agree with her that there is no problem with her not doing the task anyway. When we have conflict over an issue like this, in my mind the issue is her inability to focus on a boring/meaningless task and in her mind the issue is my unnecessarily making it into a problem. So I would be cautious about only evaluating for ADHD when the child in question decides they have a problem or is bothered by their impairments.