Originally Posted by sh22
Yes, we homeschool, so not looking for school - provided resources per se.

DD requested the testing - she wanted to know why she struggles with (esp.) math.

I apologize - I'm reading backwards through the replies so didn't see this before posting my previous reply smile

Your dd wants to know why she struggles with math - with the testing she's had so far it seems she knows part of the answer to that question - she's got achievement testing that backs up her concern that there is something at play that's not allowing her to achieve to her full potential. There is still a missing piece, however - what is causing the discrepancies in scores between achievement and ability? And how does that correlate to the challenges your dd is experiencing with math recall etc? Those are things that can likely be clarified through further testing, either through the school district or a neuropsych eval.

For me, I'd like formal accommodations for testing. She has completed 3 AP tests in time, but felt stretched to complete the essay portions. I can't even imagine her getting through the SAT math sections with her lack of math fluency....

If you can get further documentation that shows your dd has a specific challenge it will be helpful in getting College Board accommodations. It will also be helpful to have a 504 plan or IEP through the school district when seeking College Board accommodations. I think you can advocate for both of these even if you are homeschooling- I didn't homeschool, but when my ds was in school homeschool students were able to qualify for 504 plans and IEP services through the school district. The easiest way to qualify for College Board accommodations is to have your school district to request the accommodations and to provide evidence your student is using accommodations - the CB prefers the school district make the request - but you can also make the request. We had to make the request as our ds' school refused to do so (even though he'd had an IEP since elementary followed by a 504 plan in high school - his high school insisted they'd "never had anyone who was in the gifted program qualify for accommodations")... so we applied independent of the school and had no problem qualifying with the documentation ds had.

The school requires the PPT and IEP meetings - with like 20 people included!! They are visibly afraid that we will enroll DD...

Seeing so many people invited to the meeting can be intimidating, but it also may work in your favor. It doesn't necessarily mean they are hoping to fight against your dd enrolling or receiving services - it can mean that they are wanting to be sure they have the experts they need at the meeting to cover all potential concerns. Our personal experience was that it was these experts who were in fact more understanding and helpful than the specific school personnel (Sped Rep, Counselor, etc) because they were focused on student needs and challenges rather than whether or not the school wanted to avoid spending resources on the student. If it would help you feel more comfortable, you can bring an advocate with you to the meeting - this could be a professional (paid or volunteer) advocate who is familiar with your school district's process or your dd's challenges, or it could be another parent who is simply there to listen as they aren't going to be as emotionally invested in the situation and might pick up on things that you'll miss. Do you belong to a local homeschool association that might have advice on how to prepare for and approach the meeting?

Best wishes,

polarbear