Originally Posted by sh22
I'm afraid that without the GAI to show her higher level of potential, they will look at the FSIQ - high average, and all her WJ scores - mostly average, and determine hey! no problem here: average kid, average scores. The psychologist report doesn't mention LD's, just "relative" strengths and weaknesses. No real acknowledgement of her super low scores, or the discrepancy between her ability and her achievement.

That's where I found it super-helpful for myself to understand the individual WISC and achievement subtests in terms of what skills did each test, and then be prepared to explain what the differences represent. GAI isn't the only score that shows your dd's high potential - the subtest scores also show this. It would be nice to have the GAI, but even without it you have subtest data from the WISC that shows high potential and you have subtest data from the achievement testing that doesn't show the correlation you would expect given your dd's potential in corresponding areas. I can't offer you the specifics for your dd's case as I'm not a professional, but my experience as a parent advocating for a 2e child - understanding where the discrepancies told the story re my child's abilities and challenges was extremely helpful in advocating (more so than having a GAI, which we did have). It was also my experience that I just had to keep repeating the same story over and over - without emotion - but I was also in a situation where the school district did not want to offer accommodations or services and did not generally use a discrepancy model to qualify students for IEPs or 504s. I was ultimately successful in getting an IEP for my ds in elementary and he transitioned to a 504 in high school, as well as getting access to gifted programming. Having the neuropsychologist evaluation helped not only with understanding what his challenges were (our school district was no help re this) - but also because in advocating when the school staff would argue that ds didn't have a challenge etc and shouldn't qualify for services I could reply by asking "You are disagreeing with a degreed, certified and locally respected neuropsychologist?" - which was usually immediately effective in shutting down the attempts to close off further discussion by school staff.

Good luck as you advocate - it can be really tough!

polarbear