Originally Posted by Anisotropic
I don't think that accommodations should be noted on score sends, but over-diagnosis is definitely an issue. For kids who are legitimately 2e, discrimination arising from the practice of "score flagging" would serve only to depress college decisions to a level below that commensurate with reasoning ability and knowledge, which the SAT and ACT are designed to measure. Although time limits exist, these tests are not primarily intended to assess processing speed. Many studies, including one by College Board itself, suggest extremely minimal (on the order of 10 points on the SAT) score improvements for those who do not have a reasoning/PS discrepancy. And in an era when many colleges are willing to accommodate demands for additional time, the practice would seem not only unethical, but also superfluous.

I can't speak to the broad range of issues in play but I do have an anecdote.

In law school, there was a student with experience in this area and, unbeknownst to the rest of us, she had been receiving additional time for her exams. Now, I don't know if this student had legitimate issues or not so I won't claim otherwise.

In law school, the exams are timed and they usually require you to identify and evaluate as many potential legal issues as possible. Additional time is very valuable in that setting. Moreso, because law school exams are graded on a curve where only a few students will get As, some will get Bs, most will get Cs, etc., more time can mean the difference between the top of the class and the middle or the bottom.

The contrast is another student. This student consistently did very poorly in school until he was kicked out at the end of his 1L year. It was only then that he was diagnosed with a learning impairment that would have qualified him for extra time. I often wonder if he would have been able to finish school if he'd been granted the same accommodations as the other student.

The only difference between them being that she knew to ask and he didn't.

To that end, I kind of feel that something should be presented that indicates which students have accommodations and which ones don't.