Originally Posted by Isabel
Over the years, we have done a lot of oral and mental maths, as this never failed to entertain him. He has been adding and substracting two and three digit numbers in his head since he was 4, as well as skip counting, counting backwards, decomposing numbers, etc. He always comes up with strange mathematical games, like adding the days of the month, or finding out how many minutes he slept tonight.

I would keep doing this kind of stuff. I also thought second grade was too early for computer math. And I didn’t want to encourage that. DD played lots of math games in school as enrichment and memorized multiplication tables early on in a fun way. We also let her read a bunch of math books. She loves reading so it made sense to use that. I think beast academy is a great idea. Also life of Fred. But my dd didn’t do the actual curriculum. She never did a single math workbook. Around 4th grade she became more self directed in math using online materials, and I don’t think she’s been hurt by the slow start.