I want to make one thing very clear: I'm talking about places like Harvard, not about a community college or a local state U. CCs and state universities should definitely accept AP credits.

Harvard is supposed to be an elite college with very high standards. IMO, AP classes don't meet those standards (except for SV Calculus and Physics C, providing you can pass Harvard's final for each equivalent course).

Originally Posted by aquinas
I maintain that most first year courses are superficial, at best, and so why require students to undertake two rounds of fluff courses to access the meaningful content?

This may be a point where we think we're talking about the same thing, but we're not. The history and English departments at my alma mater didn't offer fluffy first-year courses. So, example:

My second semester freshman English course focused on three works: King Lear (read 3 times), Paradise Lost, and Middlemarch (read twice each). The point of this class was to examine epic works in three forms in depth (a play, verse, and prose). What did they have in common (structurally, narratively)? What was the major theme of each work, and how did it fit with the others and with the human condition in general? Pick out the theme sentence from each one and discuss. Examine the flaws in the major character in each, and discuss/compare/contrast. Compare with people in real life. Etc. I assure you, this was not a fluffy course. It was as difficult as anything the chem department could throw at me at that level (maybe harder, because first semester O-chem is relatively straightforward, while Middlemarch is not).

Originally Posted by aquinas
..students should be able to contest the final evaluations of whatever courses they like, whenever they like, AP/IB credits or not. If you can handle the material and thrive, do it! If not, follow the wisdom of the deans and map your course plan accordingly.

I agree completely, because this approach forces a student to meet the college's own standards.

Last edited by Val; 04/25/18 01:11 PM.