Originally Posted by Old Dad
Once again aquinas, simply because something is beneficial doesn't mean that it's the purpose of especially the federal and perhaps not even state or local government to provide. If your state or local government wants to provide for college funding, so be it, however, as I've mentioned numerous times, this isn't a purpose outlined in our Constitution or it's amendments. What isn't outlined the Constitution and it's amendments falls to the states and the people by direction of those same amendments.

Nobody is stopping anyone from contributing as MUCH as they want to the pursuit of their fellow citizens to gain a college degree, you're all free to sell everything you own and contribute it all and so am I. What I am not free to do is require you, by force if necessary, to fund another adult's college pursuit. With that in mind, how about you contribute what you deem appropriate to charitable and/or worth wile pursuit's and I'll do the same. In that way I'm not trying to put my priorities and preferences on you and you're not trying to put your priorities and preferences on me. Sounds quite equitable doesn't it?

In a nutshell, you’re suggesting that it’s unconstitutional to implement structures that require taxpayers to federally fund post secondary tuition. The mere existence of tuition grants for post-secondary education at the federal level, and the conspicuous absence of successful constitutional challenges in that area, suggest that constitutional law scholars do not share your opinion.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/grants-scholarships

If you’d like to discuss what constitutional law does and does not provide for, both historically and in terms of modern jurisprudence, we should start a separate thread in which to address that properly, so as not to hijack what is otherwise a discussion of the causes of, and remedies for, high tuition fees at public universities.

I thank Dude for his confidence in my argumentation. Economists may not believe in a free lunch, but we’re certainly happy to pilfer another’s lunch should the opportunity present itself.

Now...tuition rates at public universities are high. What can we do to fix the root cause, which is the pricing model, rather than continue to talk at cross-purposes about the optimal tuition payor? We can make some headway there.

What is to give light must endure burning.