It's been forever since I was on here, but today's... um... quirky anecdote was fairly epic.

DS 8yrs has ASD, and doesn't follow fiction all that well, especially when the storytelling is kinda touchy-feely. Lately, he's been having a heck of a time even figuring out which class he's in. Science? Math? English? It all seems a bit murky... and the staff aren't getting it that a kid could actually be having trouble guessing, so they tell him just about anything EXCEPT what the heck is going on (this is how I came to be in the classroom today)

In any case, social studies starts, and the teacher reads a book that keeps talking about the colour of taxi drivers. The book is about a conversation between a mom and a kid about systemic racism, but it never mentions racism or discrimination by name. DS didn't follow.

The teacher was very polite about DS's comment about the reflectivity of black versus white, though, so DS thought he was on the right track... and it was about taxis... moving vehicles and colour, right? He knows where this is going...

DS now explains Doppler shifting to the third grade.

Teacher looks confused.

(I later explained it wasn't science class, and DS came up with some good solid stuff about incarceration rates...)

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!