Wow, Pemberley, what amazing progress! All that hard work has paid off. And to pass on the impact of your experience and your openness in sharing it, I passed on to a local family how your DD had two different reading groups while the reading/decoding vs comprehension split was so high. This approach has now been applied locally.

We got our OT report on DS' handwriting. Again, his giftedness is being blamed. No one has taught him to write. Argh. The OT suggests that he'll just have to slow down and recopy more neatly. In the OT assessment, she had him slow down to copy more neatly a writing sample I'd provided from several weeks ago. The writing sample had 6 spelling errors out of 24 words. In recopying, he fixed one error and introduced one. Since his spelling is now supposed to shift towards aggressive editing, it seems to me that he'll have to do everything 3 times. Compose. Edit. Recopy.

Yes, I know all this should be done with typing/AT, but I still don't see a reason he can't be taught to hand write. We have no evidence for a reason why he can't write legibly, which leaves me pointing back at his lack of 1st grade instruction.