Originally Posted by Pemberley
She is no longer at spec Ed school so no longer working with awesome reading teacher so I don't anticipate much improvement in spelling. I have been told her spelling will likely improve now that she is reading text rather than relying solely on audio books.

Pemberly, given the era I went through school and where I went to school I was never diagnosed with anything (at school). But I was a classic 2E kid and my spelling improved continually until I started to develop cognitive issues due to health problems in my late 30s. I didn't read well (understatement) until upper primary, I read avidly during high school and I am sure that this helped. However I believe that the single biggest factor for me improving my spelling was moving to full time keyboarding at university. Once I was keyboarding full time I slowly got better and better at spelling, I feel like the rate of change was far faster in this period than during years of advanced reading in highschool. My spelling was never amazing, but did become markedly better than anyone would have imagined during my schooling. All those things people say about needing to use the pencil to develop muscle memory, aid learning and retention etc... All seem to be true for me with typing and absolutely the opposite with a pencil in my hand. I have new problems now with typing that weren't there 10 years ago, but there was a time that I could reliably feel that a word had been typed incorrectly and go back to fix it. Whereas I still struggle to spell reliably on a hand written shopping list or a note to the kids' teacher/s... So don't assume she's done. She could be, she might not be.