Originally Posted by Portia
Instruction is not tutoring. She cannot be expected to figure out some of the math concepts without being taught. Gifted just doesn't work that way. If the school is unwilling to provide a brief period of instruction (sometimes as litle as 20 mins per session), then she needs it from somewhere else.

As for the handwriting. There are those on the board that will have better suggestions. My thoughts are to see if she can use one of the math language programs (like Latex) and type her answers.

She has never received instruction. From what I can gather she is either given math puzzles or arithmetic work when she shows mastery of whatever the class is working on. For example, at the beginning of the year they were working on long division, and she told me she was given puzzles with long division and multiplication but with missing numbers.

I think the arithmetic busy work has examples at the top of the page and she has worked incrementally. I just don't know what to think. I feel like the differentiation that I have seen by this math teacher is extremely well thought out. I'm actually quite impressed. I don't see how he could do much more, and I'm just thankful it's recognized that DD doesn't have to sit through lessons she doesn't need.

Recently, she couldn't figure something out on her own and asked her teacher. I think it was converting decimals to fractions on a timed test (while class does fluency drills at different levels) Her teacher told her to just wait until the whole class went over it and gave her handwriting practice instead. She was upset about that. Enough to come home and tell me! Then two weeks later she told me she got the same sheet again. She "guessed" and got most of them right. So she figured it out. This tells me she wants the work and likes the challenge of figuring things out. So I'm just thankful she has these opportunities.

I do hate she is lacking clear instruction. What really spurred this post was I noticed she was changing mixed numbers into improper fractions and then finding the common denominator and then subtracting. She was getting the right answers most of the time, but it was more work than necessary. This stuff doesn't come easy to me, so I can't just teach her off the cuff. I need a book. And the point is she needs clear instruction because of her dysgraphia.

She doesn't get instruction at her reading level either. That could be another post. Next year will be more of the same, and then things will be different in 6th grade. For now she is challenged by a robust writing curriculum that includes grammar. She fails spelling. And sometimes math is difficult for her. We are happy because she seems happy.

I just don't know where to begin with math. I guess spam me with the best math curriculums or online programs as well as literally how to figure out where to begin in these. Something I've learned about her: She doesn't like review.