Also, as some others have pointed out, if you're on the spectrum and gifted, the profile may have more features of a typical gifted child and perhaps fewer classic autistic traits. For instance, I am autistic, but I had a well-developed understanding and frequent use of sarcasm and idiomatic language by the time I was eight, a bit earlier than many of my neurotypical peers. I also didn't relate to the "distraction from internal source" point. Disruption of attention has nearly always been due to external sensory factors (or more accurately, my oversensitized perception of them), such as loud noises or lots of movement, such as in a crowded lobby or classroom.

I was also keenly aware of how different I was from the time I began going to school. While I could have a relatively sophisticated understanding of social dynamics when considered from a quiet, low-distraction room, with the enormous amount of sensory bombardment of real social situations, I couldn't apply it. I was too busy processing basic sensory input like what words mean, trying to filter background noise, and trying to formulate words and detect a lull in the conversation so I could participate as well, so I couldn't stop and analyze social dynamics in the moment on top of that. To even think about what someone else might be thinking was sometimes just too much for me to do, even if it would be obvious in a quiet room with the time to go through it step by step, as an observer.

Actual practice with the social skills will be key. You can't improve something you don't practice, after all, even if it's tempting to avoid due to social feedback (social skills difficulty is tricky that way).