Originally Posted by MamaRachel
Originally Posted by Dude
It seems like you're having no problem with words at all, because you could pretty much copy and paste this, with some minor edits for audience:

this is not acceptable. DS9 has proven on their own pre-test that he knows the grade 4 curriculum, as he pre-tested in early Grade 5. AS this was a month ago, he's now completed another 1/2 grade of JH CTY at home. I'm confident he'd test mid or late grade 5 if retested today.

Not only does he not need to sit through a lesson on math he already knows, he needs acceleration to new topics. He also needs a much faster pace. When I serve up math at home, he gobbles it up and learns it quickly.

I've reviewed the grade 4 book completely (found a PDF of the teacher-instruction online). I am certain my child knows this material. Their pretest shows that he knows this material.

And then add a bit about what you'd like to see instead. Done.

It's clear, it's strong, it's well-supported, and it's not confrontational.

I would never dare to send those words, as they are extremely confrontational.

I'll edit and see if I can still be firm with different word choice.

Only you can gauge what you're comfortable expressing and how. But my read on Dude's comment and your original phrasing is that it's evidence based and output oriented. What you provide is a statement of your child's capabilities (as tested on the school's tools), his interim progress and the expected implications for testing level, his future needs, and your dissatisfaction with the status quo.

You will have to express discontent to get the ball rolling. Advocacy is required precisely because the existing solution is a poor fit. That can be done courteously, but be reassured that the words, "this is not an acceptable solution" are not rude or inflammatory.

Courage! smile

What is to give light must endure burning.