DS10 is afraid of thrill rides and water slides. Even what I’d call mid level ones are too scary for him. He will be really excited to do it but change his mind right when we are loading after standing in line forever. It is really frustrating. I try to be kind about it but he can tell that it is not fun/weird to wait in a narrow line forever and then turn around and walk back through everyone.

If he’d just say at the outset, “I don’t like rides and I’m not going to do them” it would be fine and so much easier.

He wants to go on them but loses courage and I don’t know how to help him. He ends up embarrassed and mad at himself.

We have tried working up from easy rides but he thinks they’re boring. We could just avoid fairs and parks but DS6 loves them and DS10 will beg to go. We tried taking along a friend who doesn’t like scary rides either but that didn’t work because his friend was fine with mid level rides. DS10 backed out of four lines before sulking. He perks up after a little while and goes on the enjoy the parts of the park he can enjoy but I’d like to help him get comfortable because he seems like he wants to do it.

Any ideas?