Have you asked her what she did not like about being asked by her classmate? Is she a social and extroverted person or an introvert who dislikes any attention called to herself by nature?

I can easily see my DD (who is almost 5) doing that - because she is very introverted, and really dislikes being put in a spotlight. For her, that would be "embarrassing" to be singled out - by a teacher or peer. She really does not like attention to be called to her (whether it was artwork, things she can do etc).

Luckily for her and us, she had a teacher who was very good at managing kids like her (she is in a small GT school), and interestingly enough, I noticed at least one other child who reacted in same way in her class. For instance, in the beginning, she would raise her hand then freeze and get shy when the teacher called on her... and for a while, she would scowl and hide behind me from one of the staff who was very exuberant especially when that staff member called out to her.

I don't have any real advice since I am still navigating that myself - for me, it is a part of her personality. Her older brother is in many ways, her opposite - very extroverted, loves helping etc. We are very lucky in that her teachers are aware of her shyness and have been really working on having her come out of her shell and not make her feel embarrassed about her work or abilities.

Last edited by notnafnaf; 05/11/17 02:15 PM. Reason: typo