I've asked myself similar questions - but not the same ones because giftedness and achievement are two different things. Were you get the conjunction of the two you may see greatness but the two should not be conflated.

One of the major differences is that in the western world, high ability kids are not as a rule grouped together anymore - 50 years ago they tended to be from what I remember.

Not having peers will tend to cause 'maladjusted behaviors, I am sure. Also, 50 years ago the focus of schools tended towards academic excellence. 50 years on, they tend to ignore or treat gifted kids as freaks because to an outside observer, the primary focus these days appears to be with making under achieving demographic groups appear to be excellent performers by lowering standards which further increases the sense of alienation that a gifted kid might feel - and act out. Honestly, standards are so lowered now that NT kids from yesteryear would present as gifted today, I am sure.

Also, dare I say it, corporal punishment was still alive in schools and actively used (on me too) when I was a kid so I think that all kids acted up less then out of the fear of consequences that don't even exist now.

Who knows? I certainly do not have all the answers and would love to see further discussion around this topic.

Last edited by madeinuk; 04/17/17 05:57 AM.

Become what you are