Lest you all think I'm hothousing here, dd three insists on having her own work. I would let her play all day if she wanted! She's definitely the one in the driver's seat. The science program is pricey, but I am very impressed with it. We'll spread it out, maybe doing one lesson each few weeks. I just reviewed it here:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art26890.asp

We're very child led at my house, especially in the early years. My daughter LOVES mixing "potions" and playing with water, and this is just the perfect program for her.

I like SOTW, but it does have a few glaring errors. I seem to recall one biggie about Christopher Columbus, and there were a few others as well. Overall, it's a good start, and we always supplemented with lots of library requests, crafts, and games. I may take it back out for dd 8, as she really enjoys it and is crazy for history. My family started SOTW one in 2001, and we're still no through book 3! We move forward through history VERY sllooowllyyy.

Lori, you mentioned a couple books I haven't heard of previously. (If you're trying...) How do you like them?