Hi everyone! I haven't been around for a while because things have been going smoothly, but right now I could use some input from the hive mind.

I'm looking for ideas for what to read to DD8, who has very high verbal intelligence. (I read to her for hours a day, because her comprehension level is way beyond her own reading fluency.) I still read her lots of children's novels, but it's getting harder to find ones that hold her interest. And young adult lit is obviously not a good next step for an 8yo.

So we've been dipping our toes into "real" literature. So far I've read her these:
Pride & Prejudice
Emma
Persuasion
The Nutcracker and the Mouse King, by E.T.A. Hoffmann
A Christmas Carol
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
Much Ado About Nothing
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Tom Sawyer

She has enjoyed all of these and understood them on a pretty sophisticated level.

On my list of other things to maybe try:
Sherlock Holmes
O. Henry stories
The Importance of Being Ernest by Oscar Wilde
Treasure Island and Kidnapped
Homer's Odyssey, with me skipping some of the dull parts
parts of the Canterbury Tales

I'd love to hear other ideas of adult literature that is engaging and fun and will get a kid hooked at an early age. Obviously, I don't want to hit her with Bartleby the Scrivener and Waiting For Godot!

(P.S. Yes I've looked at the book lists on this board, and also lists on the web of kid-friendly books for ahead-of-their-age readers. These don't really work for my kid's particular problem, or else we've already read them!)