Hi everyone. The whole gifted world is still relatively new to me and I am very new to this forum! I have a 10 year old DD who was unique and advanced from birth and I was not a bit surprised when she was accepted into the gifted program at school last year. HOWEVER, I have just lately been reading a lot about gifted girls/women and how they either suppress their giftedness to fit in or don't self-advocate, etc. because of the expectations in society about females.

Right now my daughter is strong-willed, creative, assertive and "tells it like it is". In other words she doesn't pretty up her words to make others feel better, but she comes across as cold and mean sometimes. Especially to her little brother, who has ADHD, anxiety and a severe lack of confidence. She doesn't get why we have to give him extra help and is very condescending to him. So, ultimately, my reactions to her are very inconsistent. I go between admonishing her for being mean to her brother and telling her to "be nice" (dumbing down her strong personality?) and telling her never to stop being assertive and never to back down. Poor kid's probably confused as heck!

OK, so my question is are there any books aimed at gifted young girls which will encourage her to realize her potential and stay strong in the face of adversity while at the same time not being "arrogant" and "bullying" (but is that a bad thing? I just don't know. Herein lies my quandary). eek

Help please!