Big smiles over here! My son was like that at age 6. Nothing seemed "off" or "wrong" yet. Someone suggested ADHD in a gifted forum and I was vehemently opposed to the concept. Age 7 came with significant behavioral changes, which led to enough emotional changes for DS9 that I brought him to a psychologist. I was thinking depression / anxiety. Turned out to be ADHD.

I agree with you to not be too alarmist. However if she meets the diagnostic criteria and the diagnosis gets her where she needs to be academically.... my opinion is "no harm". There's no obligation to begin any treatment - medication or otherwise.

I believe schools need to meet childrens' academic needs. But sometimes parents need to step into the EF-supporting role. In part of my son's big changes for the coming school year, I am starting Organizational Skills Training for him.

I also don't think that switching classrooms is too much demand for a neurotypical 6 year old. .... not that I have so much experience with neurotypical children! LOL!