In my son's schools if you are math accelerated for than 2 years, which happens for an average of 1 kid a year. Once they hit math not taught at their school they must go to another school to get instruction. I've known a few of these kids and they arrange to have them take math 1st period at the middle or high school, and then they must be transported BY A PARENT. (They must be singed in by a responsible adult). This defiantly discourages some parents.

In fact for YEARS & YEARS (over 20) the 8th graders who took Geometry had take it at the High School 1st period. The schedules were not the same, the schools were a mile away. It was a PITA but they would BUS them back to the junior high since there were enough of them. FINALLY the year before this was to affect my DS they changed the system where they moved a H.S. teacher to the Junior High instead.

I would think if the schools were catty corner it would be possible to have the kid walk from one to the other with your permission. He would not be the first kid to do this kind of arrangement. Suggest that if they can schedule this class at the beginning or end of the day their responsibility for the transportation will be less.