polarbear: I am printing out your post, it is so supportive and it's exactly how I'm trying to frame this situation. Thank you!

He is in a middle school program in which he also takes high school credits. And he will be exited from the program if he earns a D in any class. That is the part that is causing so much anxiety. His thought process: there is one class that I can't pass (even though that teacher is being extremely accommodating). --> So, I am going to be expelled. --> I am losing everything that matters to me (friends, status as advanced learner). --> There are a bunch of other projects that I don't enjoy and feel meaningless. --> So I might as well just not do anything at all, my life has no joy or purpose anymore.

(I'm really not exaggerating.)

I explained to him if he bails, he will have to take all of these classes again. He is suddenly (new development, maybe there is a positive in it) realizing that his GPA will matter for college applications. I am trying to put that in perspective, but he is seeing an end to a dream and a life of flipping burgers.

annie: Yes, really really overloaded. I understand what he's going through. His school is not supportive but he does have a decent family support system.

We'll get through it. It's just very hard to see his suffering. I know this is not unusual for a 13 year old kid, even a neuro-typical one. I'm just hoping he will rally a little because I think he CAN do this and he will regret it if he limits his options by allowing himself to shut down.

Last edited by eco21268; 05/04/16 05:18 AM.