DS8 is accelerated from 3rd to 4th in reading. When we held the acceleration committee meeting we looked at accelerating him in Math as well, but decided he was not ready. They say they have been working with him, and testing today done by our psych showed he is pretty much ready for 5th grade Math as well. We will soon be having a meeting with the committee to decide whether to accelerte DS fully into fifth grade at the end of third.

Last fall, the principal was concerned with how they would handle the acceleration going forward because the building he is currently in houses k-4 and having a 4th grader taking 5th grade reading in a different building presented a problem. Bear in mind the two buildings are a football field apart, litrally. The elementary school is kitty corner to one end zone and the middle school parking lot is at the other end zone. The principal suggested that by then they could have DS ready for a full grade acceleration, or they would simply give him fifth grade reading curriculum in his fourth grade classroom.

I am sure some of you have encountered this issue, and wonder how your respective schools handled a similar situation. We want to go into the meeting armed with solutions to the problem. Since the original acceleration committee meeting we have discovered that DS has some EF issues that concern me as far as full grade acceleration. I think that a year of partial middle school will help develop the EF skills he will need going forward.