Originally Posted by Portia
Originally Posted by mom2R&R
Portia- I was just looking at the pre-algebra course through AoPS. It may be an option for us in 4th grade, rather than going to middle school. Did you do both parts over the course of one school year? How did the course work for you?

We did both parts over the course of 1 year. The online class is all typing, so I taught it at home. This year, we will try the online class for Alg 1. I found a good rule of thumb for us was 5 sections a week. Most chapters are the 5 sections, but some were a bit longer, so we took 2 weeks for those chapters. By doing it at home, the course is not accredited, but it was an excellent introduction to the way the course is taught and we had a bit more flexibility. We had a bit of an adjustment period at first, but I have not seen anything of the caliber math in any other textbook. DS also has a math mentor at our local university who also recommended AoPS.

I think if we were homeschooling we would do the same, but so far that is not our plan, so I would need the accreditation of the online version.