A bulk update about DS4, as it's been a long time since I was last here:

1. DS eating crackers today

DS bites cracker. "Look Mama, a straight angle." Bites again. "Right angle." Bite "Obtuse angle." Bite "Acute angle. Aren't you a little cutie angle...NOM!!!"

2. DS in the elevator with strangers

DS pouts visibly and glares at strangers when they enter the elevator.

Stranger: What's up, Buddy?

DS: Oh, I'm just fuming about this city's fumes. There's so much smog here it's disgusting.

3. DS on inventing/philosophy

DS runs up to me after running multiple circuits of the house, extending his palm as though displaying an invisible tablet and scrolling with his index finger over his palm.

DS: Hey Mama. Know what this is?

Me: Is it a time lapse slideshow of your running circuit with you on it?

DS: No, it's a device that lets me see into the afterlife.

Me: That's interesting. How did you decide to create that kind of device?

DS: Well, science can answer most questions, but nobody has any real knowledge of the afterlife. I figure it would be pretty unique to have that kind of information.

Me: It sounds like you've stumbled onto a niche area of knowledge. I'm intrigued. Do you want to tell me more about it?

DS: Well, it's in development, so I can't really comment.

Me: That's fair. Maybe I can see a prototype?

DS: We'll see.

4. DS' catch phrase

The phrase that pays for DS these days is, "To recap..." He seems to be using this more frequently with adults when they don't seem to understand what he's saying. Because...4 year old pronunciation.

I also overheard him using these expressions with his Grandpa:

"Grandpa, correlation is not causation." (In reference to a documentary that had just been on TV and made some pretty overextended arguments.)

and

"That sounds like specious reasoning to me." (Someone had said something pedantic to him, and he bristled at being talked down to.)

5. DS socializing at the library with parents

DS to lady: Hi M'am. My name is DS. What's yours?

Lady: Hi DS, it's nice to meet you. I'm Lady.

DS: I see your little girl is toddling around among the books. She's a real cutie. What kind of books does she enjoy most?

Lady: Thanks DS, that's nice of you to say. She really likes animals.

DS: I think we all have a soft spot for animals. And how is your day going otherwise? Are you enjoying yourself here? I'm just here with my mum, reading some books, before we go for a swim at the pool.

Lady: That sounds like a wonderful morning. Yes, we both love the library.

DS: Well, don't let me interrupt you. Have a nice day! It's nice to meet you.

My note-- he does this ALL THE TIME. He will go up to a family, introduce himself to an age peer, then befriend the parent. He recently started chatting up a parent about the US election, and is surprisingly conversant about favorite sports teams.

What is to give light must endure burning.