PG DYS DD got rejected by some prominent Bay Area independent middle schools last week. (see http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/acronyms.htm). Okay, call 'em prep schools. I thought we could be among the 30% acceptance rate, based on her 99th percentile ISEE score, and the great essays from the $4000 private school consultant. Its possible by incompetence or malice her current school screwed up her recommendation letters. The schools say they had unprecedented applicants this year (maybe, though they say that every year). But I think the best theory is that many schools simply want extroverts rather than brains.

So if I'm ready for further punishment for 9th grade, I have 3 years to put my modest proposal into effect. DD will be fed a steady diet of lead paint chips to dumb her down. Ritalin (essentially an amphetamine) to calm her down. And Prozac to make her into the extrovert the schools all want.

Just joking, venting here folks. What will really happen is, a dose of the real world at the local public school. And a therapist, for me as much as for DD.

It does get me thinking about how this gifted road never ends, the transition from 'native ability' to actual accomplishment, and how to fit in to polite society (or not) (being outnumbered).

Last edited by thx1138; 03/16/16 11:07 AM.