I need some help.

My son is 14 and a freshman in high school. He has been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and autism spectrum disorder. He struggles with the mechanics of writing (spelling, punctuation, capitalization), penmanship, verbal, multi-step instructions, organization and anxiety. His math assessments have been off the chart. I don't even know where he lands as his recent ACT Explore Exam math result was 100% and his MAP results have been between 99% to 100% for years.

So... he entered high school with his algebra credit. He chose to double up and take geometry and algebra II concurrently. He has 112% (an A) in Algebra II and loves his Alg II teacher. He has a C in geometry. His geometry teacher is docking his homework and tests for spelling and hand writing on all of the proofs.

During conferences, I noted his 504 plan that gives him accommodation in these areas. His teacher told me, 'he does not give students a pass in any area. If they can't do all the work then they don't get the grade'. To get ammunition, I asked for copies of the tests. The teacher told me he would send them home with my son the next day. I never got them. I emailed to ask again. Here's the response, "I was expecting DS to ask for them again. I believe that students should learn to take care of themselves."

I'm livid. A kid with an anxiety disorder is not going to ask in front of other students. I need help with my response.

My email so far, "I did not realize that he needed to ask for them again as you told me you would give them to him. I've heard you tell me verbally two times that students should learn to take care of themselves and once now in writing. I feel I need to remind you that (my son) is on a Section 504 Accommodation Plan. <here is where I want to define a 504 plan but I want to emphasis that it is intended to accommodate a child to learn to their POTENTIAL and can't find verbiage>

I will also note DS's past assessment scores (or do you think that's overkill?). I struggle with fighting for my son and being the helicopter parent that ultimately hurts him.

Can someone with experience help me with this?

Last edited by Dittos; 10/26/15 09:13 AM.