Originally Posted by thx1138
A gifted advisory center recommended I avoid using the word gifted when I approached my local public school principal about my gifted sons needs.
Unfortunately, yes. In case it may be of some help, this recent thread discusses some options to substitute for the word "gifted".

Originally Posted by thx1138
Politician-principals really don’t want a truly strong parent community, as it would empower a group that is already far down on the priority list, making their job more difficult. PTA meetings become a farce in which only the naive really voice any of their concerns. The administration may ignore you until you go away… or they may make an example or scapegoat of you. I suppose its possible they are well intentioned and (believe they) know more about gifted education than any parent, but more likely they don’t actually want all that much feedback, and you only endanger yourself by revealing your inner thoughts (honne).
The web is ripe with anecdotes and lived experiences which support your observation, including the posts of one school district's informed residents. Free from any hint of bitterness or cynicism, the posts are insightful, raise awareness, and help pierce the fog of naiveté.
Two general thoughts which have been shared with me regarding awareness and advocacy, and which I will pass along:
1) If ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power, where are you on your bliss-power continuum?
2) "Be wise as serpents and gentle as doves" - ancient sacred text

This recent post points to the climate change in US public schools.