Just from what you gave as an example of your daughter's response, I have a question. Is she normally blunt? I'm guessing so, because your son didn't seem to take offense to her question.

Perhaps this is her "style" of speaking. It will cause her considerable grief if she doesn't learn to "soften" it up. I know.

Something my mom taught me was to THINK before speaking. I learned to anticipate what my gut-reaction response to a person would produce from them and re-formulate in my mind how I spoke. It took a LONG time to learn. Many times I heard, "Watch your mouth!" from mom.

Placing oneself mentally in the others' position (sort of "out of body") can sometimes help. That is, if the person doing the exercise has empathy. I'm sure your DD does; especially for her brother.

I still slip and find myself saying the most awful blunt things. An example was at a social dinner in which a co-worker brought his new girlfriend (his wife had recently passed). I inquired about her line of work. She said she was "_______." To which I responded, "I don't know anything about that." *cringe* (In my defense, I'm socially awkward...can you tell?)

Bluntness is possibly her thing. If she can tone it down, she'll do much better.

Last edited by Ametrine; 09/30/15 05:50 PM. Reason: comma coming