I am in the throes of advocacy meetings for grade skip or acceleration for my 8 year old - the meetings are all going well. But, in the school that we are in, they offer "ability" based differentiation - because many parents objected vehemently to one group of kids being called "gifted" and all the other kids being left out of the group. Our area is full of very smart and well spoken parents - and many argued vey eloquently about why IQ tests are not a true indicator of giftedness and that every child is extremely gifted in their own way. Which is good and helped abolish the word "gifted" from our school's dictionary.

But, the fact remains that my child is HG+ and is a misfit in a regular classroom - he can do the work there blindfolded with both hands tied behind his back (I am metaphorically speaking). He dominates the regular classroom with his knowledge and ability to know what the teacher is going to teach next. Funnily, being the only kid who puts up his hand for every single question, every single time and finishing his task way ahead of others worked as a sort of self-advocacy tool for him. So he got "pullouts" which are supposedly advanced and this is not sufficient either. So, the school is willing to work with us on a plan for my DS and I have meetings set up to talk to admins and teachers. But, the kicker is that they won't use the word "gifted" officially. I am using the words "high ability learner" along with "quick thinker" and "high work ethic, focus and concentration" as substitutes for the G-word. Any other words or phrases that will help me to convey what I want to say? TIA.