Great idea, however a study can be time consuming, while polls on the forum can provide instantaneous information, as well as preserving anonymity, and allowing the parents to be in control of what is being asked (by creating the poll questions in our new posts). There is nothing about creating polls on the forum which precludes a formal study. Quite the opposite, the presence of forum polls on various aspects of acceleration may provide insight into the information which parents may be seeking to consider when contemplating acceleration for their child. In that way, forum polls may help inform questions and hypotheses for future research studies.

That said, in case someone comes across this thread and not others on the topic of acceleration, I'll add a link to the work of the Acceleration Institute so that those resources and prior research are present in this thread, including
- A Nation Deceived
- A Nation Empowered
- Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS)

ETA: Here is a link to a post which seems to understand very well why many students (and their parents) choose full-grade acceleration. In addition to expressing understanding, this post also mentions the research on acceleration:
Originally Posted by aeh
I have first- or second-hand knowledge of an unusually high number of acceleration stories, including many radical accelerants into early college, and it is clear to me that a significant number of those individuals would have suffered loss or injury to important aspects of themselves had they not been accelerated. The costs of acceleration were well worth it for them. Those observers who believe the costs -were- too high generally have not grasped the severity of pre-acceleration psychic pain they were experiencing. These are the kinds of data captured by the longitudinal research on radical acceleration.
Click on the link to read the full post.

ETA: Here is a link to a post which mentions potential costs of NOT accelerating.

Here is a link to a roundup of acceleration threads.