Originally Posted by indigo
Like teachers of days gone by, today's involved parents (many without teaching credentials or certification) manage to ferret out meaningful resources for the education of their children, for enrichment, after-schooling, and homeschooling. They do this, in part, by knowing their children. School systems cannot know the children as well and strive to compensate for this with excessive data collection.

Those who value diversity of thought, freedom to learn from an uncensored variety of learning materials and curriculum, at an appropriate pacing for a student... and liberty from the veritable prison of excessive data collection... may wish to stay informed on legislation and strive to keep homeschooling legal and unrestricted.
I favor extensive data collection and (with the consent of the student) dissemination. It is my impression that employers of high school graduates never examine transcripts. You are either a high school graduate or a dropout. Therefore gifted students must graduate from colleges, especially those with good reputations, to distinguish themselves. I think school transcripts should be like credit reports, which are transmitted in a standardized way at low cost. The real "prison", if you are using that term, is the inability to get good jobs without going through a 16-year long sentence in school.