Originally Posted by brilliantcp
Two brags in one for May 1st (college choice deadline in the US)

DD was accepted to several universities including one out of state "DREAM SCHOOL" (think west coast ivy equivalent) and is choosing the solid, mid-tier, east coast state school that offered her a full out of state tuition merit scholarship. Super proud of her for earning a merit scholarship, even prouder of her for being mature enough to see that taking on over $200K in student loan debt would have a long term impact on her future choices.

So glad to have this forum where I can just say that she got a merit scholarship and got into DREAMY U without doing my "humble brag" routine.

Only hope she knows what she plans on doing in the future and is aware that even though her choice seems the most sensible that in some instances it actually isn't... but that all depends on what she plans on doing in the future. I recall a classmate in graduate school was interviewing for positions with a big management consulting firm and was told flat out that while her grades were great and her experience was good, that her undergrad was from Rutgers and that was the reason that they wouldn't be offering her a job... And that was even though she was coming out of a top 3 MBA program.

So remember that in some fields they are actually so shallow that they will look at where you went to school.