Hi -

DS10 and DD8 have both been tested, and both qualify for DYS with their VCI and GAI scores on the WISC iv. However, both just miss on the WIAT iii. DD has an oral language composite score that qualifies, but that is not one of the tests DYS lists for acceptance.

I am wondering what services you feel you get with DYS. I know they do advocacy, and that could be helpful. Do they work with teachers and administrators who are relatively willing to accommodate, but simply don’t know what to do? What other services?

Right at this moment we’re in a relatively good position, with a new principal who is interested in learning more, and actually wants to retest DS10 (achievement tests - he was not particularly happy to be there or cooperative the first time … long story). Given that he might qualify for DYS based on new achievement scores, then I want to be absolutely certain they give one of the tests that counts — or, I want to pay to do the right test. However, how much I push (or pay) depends on how worth it DYS really is, and what services they provide.

In addition, DS is a 2e kid, with some OT/sensory issues, physical handwriting issues (which are being overcome by use of a computer, however he doesn’t have a lot of well above grade level writing samples due to his relative inexperience with writing being something that isn’t totally horrible for him) and possibly some issues with processing speed. Do the DYS folks take that kind of thing into account?

As for DD, she’s not a candidate for retesting anytime soon. What do people do for portfolios? I have no idea what I’d include!! I bet I could get teachers to help with that next year too (find work they think is well above grade level), if I had an idea of what they look for… Do people really get in to the program with portfolios when their kids have missed on the testing?

Just wondering what folks’ experiences have been, to see if the effort is worth it. I’ve read through some of the sticky threads, and while I see a lot on how to apply (and a ton of other great stuff!), but just a small bit on what DYS offers once you’re accepted.

Sorry this is long - I’m just feeling confused!!

TIA!