Congrats to everyone!
At DS8s elementary, they made every kid participate in a maths competition where they have to solve maths problems in teams of three (put together by the teacher, so it was very interesting what teams she'd come up with) and present their solutions to a jury. DS was very stressed by this, particularly as the teacher made no bones about expecting him and his team to compete at the district level - not exactly unbiased, was she? - but since she wasn't on the school jury, I guess who cares....
Even though there was some friction in his team (both of the other kids are his friends but can't stand each other, and one was even more reluctant to compete than he was, while the third was all gung-ho) they managed to work together (I told DS it was his job to integrate the team!) and win at the school level. Now they will compete at district level - during the week they are at sleepaway camp! Apparently the school where the district competition will be held is only 3 miles away so one mom has agreed to drive the half hour to camp, take the to the competition and back while the camp activities will be put on hold.
My usually anxiety ridden DS, so far, is taking it all in stride.
And he's started serving as an altar boy!
I am so very proud of how he is dealing with all these expectations, all the while being the youngest everywhere.

Last edited by Tigerle; 05/03/15 11:40 PM.