Pretty darn good as a fifth grader too! Congrats to her.

ETA: I'm over the moon, so will come back and add one of my own. Getting dyslexic DD8 to read has always involved lengthy battles - she wouldn't even read the words on her own t-shirt. Last night, after we finished our reading remediation program, she asked if she could read me a picture book of poetry rather than having me do my usual bedtime read. Uh.... yes!!!!!!!!!!!! She whipped through it, huge smile on her face, clearly demonstrating that her reading level has already well-surpasssed a book that would have been a nightmare four months ago.

Later, watching her Dad scan some news on his iPad, she asked if he was really reading that fast. Because, she explained, it takes her the whole evening to read a page from "Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods". That's the non-fiction, not the novel, and holy dense text, Batman. She's been asking for that book, by herself, in lieu of bedtime reading all week, but I gotta be honest - it. never. occurred. to. me. that. she. was. actually. READING. it! rather than looking at the pictures and imagining, as she has been doing for all these years. Daddy explained that he is actually quite a slow reader (probably dyslexic too), and that he fully expects her to be able to read that fast, and probably faster, with all the hard work she's putting into her remediation. Inspired DD went back for another page about Athena.

OK, I'm blubbing up just writing this.

Last edited by MichelleC; 04/02/15 06:56 AM. Reason: had to add a brag too. Sniff :)