It's also worth keeping in mind that there are a lot of adults who implement the idea of giving children choices poorly, by only offering two, neither of them considered desirable by the child, and making a stand-off out of it. It's like you're at a buffet, and you want the child to have a vegetable, so you say, "broccoli or carrots - choose!", when the child would be perfectly happy to meet your requirements if a salad or corn were also options. And they're right there in reach!

We don't know much about the situation and the choices offered in this particular scenario under discussion, but from what little was presented here, that may be what the teacher was doing, and in that case, the child was showing superior social skills by respectfully requesting more options.

I've always found it more productive to tell my child my requirements, and why I'm suggesting these two choices, and if she can come up with an alternative that meets both our needs, I'll listen. Some of her proposals have been brilliant.