Hi LLR,

Do you have any sense of the school's philosophy about homework? My DS11 was in a GT program that didn't have much homework by design -- most could be done in school, and there was usually just some amount of reading on his own required. There were occasionally big projects that required some homework if he didn't finish in school. DS is now in 6th (skipped 1st grade), and he has never studied yet. They have time to review/study for tests in class too. I feel like when he was in his HG program, he was fairly adequately challenged, though he was still at the top of his class.

I don't think it's too late to consider grade or subject acceleration if you feel like your DD is underchallenged. What does your DD think? It's great that she is fitting in! Maybe it's more school philosophy re: homework and studying than lack of challenge? What do you mean re: hit a ceiling? If I were you, I'd have a chat with the teacher and ask about HW and studying expectations. Also ask where your DD fits in with the rest of the class. Mention your concerns. Also, can you review what they're doing in school to get a sense if any of it is new material? There is a ton of overlap all the way through elementary. If you are really considering acceleration, I'd recommend the Iowa Acceleration Scales. I wouldn't worry about gaps. Curriculum is very circular throughout elementary.