Originally Posted by Cola
What's the best way anyway to tell him about the results? Do you sugar coat or lay it out there? Does Bill Nye have a YouTube channel for this? I'm joking of course the kid has seen every Bill Nye video out there so he would have told me ;-)

We didn't tell our ds about scores as a starting point - we told him what the results of his evaluation were in specific and practical terms that he could grasp. DS was extremely anxious due to his placement at school and not being able to write. It was such a relief to him for us (parents) to be able to tell him that now we understood why writing was such a struggle, and let him know that we (parents) were going to do everything we could to help him learn how to write. A lot depends upon the specific child, of course, but for our ds, *knowing* there was a reason helped relieve his anxiety and that was enough to honestly make him very happy for about a full year. (NOTE - we didn't not remediate or anything, but there was definitely a year's worth or so of "life feels better" for ds before the reality of living with a disability started sinking in for him again).

We did eventually talk to ds about his test scores, but that first came about more in the context of ds trying to figure out why other kids were taking such a long time to grasp concepts compared to him... hence we introduced the concept of bell curve wink Later on we explained how the tests he'd had, combined with the work he produced at school and developmental history etc helped explain what his LD was - but a lot of that explaining took place over time, little bits here and there as he had questions or was pondering things. He's recently had additional testing for college board accommodations documentation, and now that he's in high school he's all over the analyzing what everything means - he owns it now.

The thing to keep in mind is this info is sometimes much more emotional for us to digest as parents than it is for our kids who've already been living it there whole life. The tests, the results, the numbers, all of that - aren't the big deal for my ds, for instance. The big deal is the impact of his disability - the tests, the diagnoses, the numbers etc - those are all just explanations that help things make sense.

I'm glad you have some answers now - I hope that you'll be able to use the results to put together a plan for school and home for accommodations/remediation/etc.

Best wishes,

polarbear