Originally Posted by master of none
With sports, you can walk with your feet to another place. And teams can be picky about who they take and the standards they work to. They don't need to do IEPs and pass the state tests.

We see this comparison often on this board, and usually, I stay out of it, but this time, just wanted to offer my 2 cents. If we could take out the compulsory in education, and only those interested in going to school went, OR if everyone were required to play football, or do gymnastics, then we might have a comparison.

ITA with master of none on all of this!

And re the gym example above - chances are the kids aren't separated by skill level simply because the coaches recognize every individual should be appropriately challenged. As the parent of a competitive gymnast, I could go on and on about how this is not the same thing as a school example at all, but I'll spare you the boring details lol!

Re other sports - both competitive and rec leagues like soccer etc around here all base participation on *age* - so no matter how much of a soccer prodigy you are at 9, you can't play on a team with 12 year olds.

polarbear