Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Originally Posted by aeh
The "scary movie" known as Cars. The moment when Lightning McQueen wakes up on the highway and can't find Mack. And many, many years later, we still haven't gotten past the opening scene of Finding Nemo.

For us, this is the scene in a particular Teletubbies short in which one Tubby is being chased by the other tubbies (for refusing to share the some item of clothing or something, as I recall). We had to fast-forward through it when DD was tiny-- her distress was pretty extreme.

(And no, in my defense, we did NOT actually encourage our 13-18mo DD to watch a lot of television... until she was virtually immobilized for two months by an RSV-penumonia one-two-punch, that is... at THAT point, Teletubbies were fair game as a means of keeping her quiet and resting.)

I was curious-- I looked it up after asking DD about it-- she still remembered it well.

(Recall-- this is my 15yo DD, and this was WELL before 9.11.01-- about a year prior, in fact)

Even then, my DD hated the idea of others forcing their will upon someone else and found it intolerable. Wow. This is still one of the few things that really rouses her to overtly aggressive/agitated behavior; stripping another person of agency/rights/autonomy. I hadn't ever thought of it in those terms, but this has apparently been a thread that stretches back to even THEN. shocked
And in our case, the thread is high security needs (not nearly as altruistic as your dd's!)--can't remember if I already told the alarm story: around age six
child: "what's that little light?"
parent: "the motion sensor for the house alarm"
child: "it goes on if there's someone moving in the room?"
parent: "yes"
child: "how can it tell the difference between us and a bad person?"
parent: "it can't. we just disarm it when we're at home"
child: "but I don't know the alarm code!"
parent: "that's okay, we wouldn't leave you home alone without someone who knew the code"
child: "what if something happens to both of you?"
--from here we head into a series of questions that cannot be satisfactorily answered without describing our whole estate/guardianship plan. Oh, and assurances that the appointed guardian would absolutely know how to fly across the country, acquire and drive a rental car (even if it's an unfamiliar make and model), use a map to reach our house, and, most importantly, TURN OFF THE ALARM!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...